So you have decided to start eating healthy and you are worried about having sweet treats. You are wondering what you can eat that is still healthy but still cures your craving for something sweet? Fear not! Do not feel like you have to restrict yourself completely when it comes to healthy eating. If you are the adventurous type then I’m here to challenge your taste buds with a delicious key lime dessert that will have you questioning whether you can eat and not feel any guilt. The answer is yes, yes you can, all using avocado as the main ingredient.
I’m one of those people who grew up not enjoying the taste of avocados. My Mum tried to get me to eat it when I was young in every way she could…she sprinkled sugar..salt…I just hated it. But I’m glad to let you know that has changed…my palete has evolved and I love avocados now. So much so that I actually make dessert with them. So why do I choose to include them in my diet?
- Avocados give you more potassium than bananas, and potassium helps normalize blood pressure by balancing the hypertensive effect of dietary sodium.
- As for the fat in avocados, it is healthy, monounsaturated fat that is good for the heart and won’t raise cholesterol. Avocados also are a good source of fiber. And they provide glutathione (an antioxidant) and folate.
The only nutritional downside to avocados is their high calorie content – about 300 for a whole one. So although it is healthy fat be sure to enjoy avocado’s in moderation.
Summary of health benefits of avocados
- Lowers cholesterol
- Reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- Lowers cancer risk- healthy monostaurated fats will help your body better absorb anticancer antioxidants such as lycopene and beta-carotene.
- Keeps blood sugar steady
- Reverses insulin resistance and this in turn helps your body steady its blood sugar levels.
- Maintains hair health. Avocado moisturizes hair shafts and loads them with protein, making them stronger.
Tips on Avocados
- Puree avocado with coconut milk for a chilled soup
- Mash and spread on bread instead of mayo for a creamy healthier taste.
- If you want to retain a fresh green color, avocados should be eaten immediately or sprinkle lime juice or white vinegar.
- I look for firm avocados if I plan to use them later in the week. if i need to use it immediately I will select fruit that gives in to pressure when pressed firmly.
- Do not rely on color alone to determine if the avocado is ripe.
- To speed up ripening process store them in a paper bag and store them at room temperature for 2-5 days. If you place an avocado with an apple it speeds up the process even more.
Key Lime Recipe
You will definitely enjoy this key lime recipe as the coconut milk adds to its creamy texture.
5 ripe avocados
3 Limes or lemon
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
5 Tbsp. coconut milk
I lime for grating
Scoop the flesh out of the avocados and place it in your food processor. Add the juice of the lime maple syrup and coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
Divide the mixture into 4 bowls and sprinkle grated lime. Keep chilled in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.